FREEPORT IN PERU: TWENTY YEARS AND GOING STRONG
Harry M. (Red) Conger, President and Chief Operating Officer, Freeport-McMoRan Americas and Africa Mining
- · Mr. Conger presented information about Freeport-McMoRan’s products and global reach, focusing on the copper and molybdenum mine in Cerro Verde, Peru.
- · Mr. Conger explained that establishing a successful business abroad requires community development.
- · Freeport-McMoRan invested time and resources in Cerro Verde to build strong relationships with the local leadership, government, and community.
- · Freeport-McMoRan built trust between the company and locals by investing in the region, public services, entrepreneurs, schools, etc.
- · By having a strong relationship with the community, Freeport-McMoRan minimized protests from various local groups, which has allowed the company to operate efficiently.
- · Freeport-McMoRan approaches the community as a guest by respecting business and cultural differences, and building towards its goals with the motto “Pride Unites Us.”
- · A community development business approach has allowed Freeport-McMoRan to become a welcome and appreciated business in Cero Verde, and has led to additional collaborative and profitable projects.